Wednesday, April 4, 2007

December 06: Interest in Salves and Ointments Greased at Workshop

Amy Jean Smith of Earth Remedies in Torrington introduced a group of lotion lovers to the simple art of making herbal ointments. And salves. And tinctures. And linements.

Bathed in the light of a sunny winter day, participants took over the kitchen at the UCC parish house in Cornwall, mixing olive oil, beeswax and extracts from common plants to create luscious-smelling and luxurious-feeling concoctions. But how did they stand up to the plethora of options available at the nearest big box drugstore?

I had the opportunity to test the St John's Wort and Arnica ointment the very next day, after I strategically plunged my hand into hot oil. Although my first thought was that I would be needing skin grafts, my eye caught the cute jars that Amy sent folks home with. I slapped on a healthy dollop - and the pain subsided. What's more, my skin sucked it up and smelled wonderful. I kept applying every time the throbbing began and, miraculously, I was saved the otherwise obligatory blistering and oozy wound.

I'm a convert. Now I just need to start stockpiling olive oil and beeswax in preparation for weed season.

No comments: